Our San Jose Car Accident Lawyers Are Here To Help!
Car accidents are far too common whether you live in an urban area with busy roads or in a suburban/rural area where traffic flows more efficiently. San Jose, California and the surrounding communities provide a good mix of both urban and suburban traffic patterns. Data from the California Office of Traffic Safety indicates that the area averages 9,000 traffic accidents annually for Santa Clara County alone with speeding cited as the cause in 30 percent of reported incidents. The county ranks 21st in the state for the number of accident fatalities directly attributable to speeding. About half of these traffic accidents happen in the San Jose area.
If you have been injured in a car accident in San Jose, contact our law firm. Our experienced car accident lawyer will aggressively fight for you!
Call us 24/7 for a free consultation: (408) 217-1778
Common Types of Car Accidents and Typical Damages
- Rear-end collisions occur when a car crashes into the car directly in front of it. Damages range from a fender bender to catastrophic damage depending on driving speed, the angle of impact, safety features of vehicles involved, driver skill and other factors.
- Rear impact collisions can lead to injuries that may not be immediately evident such as whiplash. This is a common injury in car accidents that damage the joints, discs, and ligaments in the vertebrae and the neck due to the sudden jerking of the neck backward or forward.
- T-bone collision refers to side impact incidents where one vehicle collides or broadsides another. Vehicle damage and injury to occupants may be more severe in T-bone accidents, depending on the efficiency of airbags, crumple zones, and other safety features.
- Sideswipe collisions occur when vehicles in parallel positions end up scrubbing against each other. Damages may range from cosmetic scratches and minor dents to major body work especially when one or both vehicles spin out of control or hit another object. Injuries to occupants will depend on the magnitude of the impact and your position in relation to the point of impact.
- Head-on collisions are among the deadliest type of car accidents. Front end to front end impact typically occurs when the vehicles are traveling in opposite directions on a roadway with no median or an undivided highway. Data from the California Office of Traffic Safety indicates that head-on collisions account for 2 percent of traffic accidents but 10 percent of fatalities from traffic accidents.
- Single vehicle accidents could involve a collision with an obstacle other than a car, mechanical failure, driver error or a combination of these factors. The accident could be a rollover incident, a collision or a stalled vehicle.
What to do if you Suffer Personal Injuries from a Car Accident
Regardless of the type of accident, it makes sense to get yourself checked over even when you do not show evident injuries. Remember that evidence of contusions, concussions, and internal damage do not manifest right away.
In most places, a 911 call from you or witnesses to the accident will trigger the appearance of emergency medical units, traffic investigators, and other law enforcement units. If you have the ability, make sure to collect the contact information of these parties as you or your legal representatives may have to get in touch with them at a later date. If you suffered injuries, getting medical help should be the priority. You will have to rely on information collated by the responding officers and filed with their accident report.
Documentation of your injuries is crucial to getting fair compensation from your insurance and other parties deemed responsible for the accident. This is why you should seek medical assistance after a car accident. Many states impose a limit of three to five days after the accident for documented injuries to be considered directly related to the incident.
These are some of the documentation that may be required from you if you are claiming personal injury compensation after a car accident:
- Certified copy of the accident report
- Billing statements, lab results, treatments, diagnosis and care plan signed by a health facility representative
- Electronic health records to determine the extent of pre-existing conditions
- Proof of medical supplies, therapies and rehab support received as a result of the accident
- Prognosis report from a qualified medical practitioner
Determining Liability for Property Damage and Physical Injuries
Analyzing motor vehicle accidents to determine cause and effect is often a complicated task. Even when an incident involves a single vehicle, investigators still need to determine liability especially when the case involves major property damage along with expensive medical treatment and lengthy recovery. The process of assigning liability is complex yet crucial for the parties awaiting compensation that may include:
- Compensation for repair or replacement of the vehicle/s involved in the car accident
- Compensation for public or private property damaged in the car accident
- Reimbursement for medical expenses incurred as a result of the accident
- Compensation for future medical expenses for ongoing medical support
- Wages lost due to being sidelined by accident injuries
- Attorney’s fees
- Incidental fees that law enforcement agencies may charge such as cleanup or disposal fees
Aside from traffic investigators, you can also expect insurance underwriters from your own insurance company and other companies providing coverage for anyone involved in the accident. Assignment of liability will determine how much each insurance company will have to cover out of the total amount involved.
The Role of a Car Accident Lawyer in San Jose
A car accident can suspend your life, especially when physical injuries and property damage is involved. Insurance compensation involves a lot of paperwork as well as an understanding of the legal nuances of your auto insurance.
- The attorney will help you navigate the insurance reimbursement process so that you can maximize compensation for your losses as listed above.
- The attorney will facilitate efficient collection of reimbursement funds.
- The attorney should advise you of the steps you should take to minimize liability for damages.
- The attorney should be involved in the investigation process, including finding witnesses in your favor and gathering exonerating evidence.
- The attorney will review the paperwork and documentation, including any requests for additional documentation by other parties.
Why hire a San Jose Car Accident Lawyer Today?
If you or a loved one is involved in a car accident, do not hesitate to seek legal help from a car accident attorney to guide you through the next steps. Experience and expertise count when it comes to navigating critical paperwork and other processes after a car accident. The team at San Jose Personal Injury Attorneys will get you the compensation you deserve. By hiring us, we will be sure to communicate appropriately with your insurance company, the other party’s insurance company, and even the other attorney if the other party has one.
If you have been injured in a car accident in San Jose, contact our law firm. Our experienced car accident attorney will aggressively fight for you!
Call us 24/7 for a free consultation: (408) 217-1778
Other types of motor vehicle accidents:
Drunk Driving Accidents | Government Vehicle Accidents | Rear End Accidents | Cell Phone Accidents | Taxi Cab Accidents | Teen Driving Accidents | Uber Accidents | Hit-and-Run Accidents | Rideshare Accidents
Back to Car Accident main page